Notify me if/when this item becomes available:
(you will be asked to log in first)
Please Login to use shopping lists.
This expansion to PitchCar adds new track pieces, including sharper curves and a jump, for an even more exciting race.
Important note to owners of Carabande: PitchCar is NOT compatible with Carabande. There is a slight difference in track thickness between the two; and contrary to popular belief, the jigsaw-cut ends of the PitchCar track segments which attach one track segment to the next do NOT match with those in Carabande.
The expansion for Pitchcar came with 2 narrowed starightaways with 2 rails on each, 4 Curves with an rail in the middle as well as an outside rail (that narrowed the outside path as it went), and two starightaway pieces that allow a figure 8 formation with one flat side. No jump, and the straightaway pieces can't be connected one after another with all rails and be expected to work.
But, I love the expansion. With all rails in, the turn pieces are just challneging enough to make it tough, and the narrow straights allow for you to let another player push you through. For a change of pace, you can take out a rail, and make any of these pieces even more challanging. Try that curve without the outside rail, and you'll see what I mean.
One thing to note is that, through an unlucky flip, it may be possible to land on an unplayable spot of the straightaways where you are surrounded by rail. I would treat this as if your car went off track.
This is definately worth the price. Buy it and enjoy!
The best expansion ever made, it's still in stock so don't hesitate any longer because this item is really hard to find elsewhere. The publisher should re-release it with a new design/box in the following month, so this one will become a real collector ;-) If you have PitchCar, you need it, you'll enjoy it, you'll have fun with it, no doubt.
This one is a no brainer. If you have played the rather addictive Carrom racing game Carabande, you can buy this small box which add 2 curves, 2 narrow straightaways, and a jump.
The narrows consist of one which starts wide, narrows in the middle, and widens on the other side. The other truly evil narrow starts narrow on one side and widens on the other.
The jump and extra pieces allow for some really creative track construction. We have created a very nice optional jump where you can take a jump short cut, as well as a few evil jumps where failing to clear puts you further back in the field. (And of course we have a house rule that KNOCKING another player just over the edge of the jump is perfectly legal. Adds a lot of tension about the jump.)
Playing PitchCar with the expansion makes the game much more challenging. The chicanes are track pieces (four curves and two straights) that have rails that set in the middle of the track to narrow the path through the section. The crossover/jump can be used to make 'figure eights', or place the two straight cut ends together to make a jump. You don't need to do any cutting: the take-off and landing pieces will have jigsaw cuts on the ends, but this dosen't affect puck flight and landing. It does mean that the jump takeoff will be a two section straightaway, which is somewhat limiting.
The new Pitchcar extension differs from the Carabande Action set in several key ways:
- The set does not include a jump (which is the best part of the game, as well as necessary to change over from Pitchcar to Carabande as the pieces do not link together.) This set comes with a flat crossover.
Fortunately, converting these pieces to a jump are not too difficult: 1) Make a straight cut 6 inches (15 cm) from the straight end on ONE of the track sections, 2) Cut a wedge with about 10 degree angle and 1 inch (3 cm)height. (A scrap of 2x4 works well.)
I am no Norm Abrams, but I managed to do this with a circular saw and straightedge clamped to the wood to ensure straight cuts.
Now you can build a ramp for the jump, the other crossover piece forms the landing area.
- The chicane is different than the original chicanes in the Carabande Action set. There are no straight shots through. You almost certainly take at least 2 shots to get through. This piece can cause a backup, but it also give the last place runners a chance to catch up.
- The curves include an inner wall, making for a tricky shot.
If it didn't require extra work to build the jump, I would have given it 5 stars.
While the game is excellent, the expansion is very limiting.
- The jump does not have a ramp/transition, so actually requires angling the pieces or the merge between them affects the cars. IE, it's not a jump, just a straight section of track, and certainly shouldn't be priced any different than a straight section of track.
- The tight turns and the 'chicane' do not match up to the other pieces for a flowing feel of track. Most combinations of the pieces are not feasible to drive. There is no way to place the chicane without having rails in the middle of your straight or turn, it's awkward at best.
For this price, I would like to see twice the track for not delivering very well anything it says it does. Stick with just the game or find this expansion cheap.