Get Funagain Points by submitting media! Full details, including content license, are available here.
You must be logged in to your account to submit media. Please click here to log in or create a free account.
Men of Iron
List Price: $35.00
Your Price: $27.95
(Worth 2,795 Funagain Points!)
Notify me if/when this item becomes available:
(you will be asked to log in first)
Please Login to use shopping lists.
Men of Iron covers the re-emergence of infantry in the early 14th century, along with a more perceptive understanding of the value of combined-arms warfare and the effective use of defensive terrain. The scenarios highlight the key elements that made these battles so fascinating: the defensive power of the longbow, especially when used in coordination with dismounted, or even mounted, men-at-arms.
Men of Iron is designed for quick learning and easy play. Game rules are short, there are no turns -- play is continual, with ample opportunities to steal play from your opponent -- and combat resolution is a single dieroll. Playing time is about 1-to-2 hours, per battle.
Men of Iron is also GMT's gift to the gamer who enjoys playing solitaire - the system is designed for both individual and face-to-face play without any loss in insight or fun - to see what happened in these famous battles and why.
The battles included in Men of Iron are:
- Falkirk - Scotland, 22 July 1298 - Wallace's great disaster, despite his massive schiltron. Good infantry is fine, but it needs support. The ultimate solitaire scenario.
- Courtrai - Flanders, 11 July 1302 - The Battle of the Golden Spurs The Flemish shock the elite French army with one the earliest displays of the power of solid infantry using defensive positions.
- Bannockburn - Scotland, 23-24 June 1314 - Robert the Bruce's famous triumph over a numerically superior but literally bogged down English army.
- Crecy - France, 26 August 1346 - The first great battle of the 100 Years War. It showed that infantry, supported by archers, could defeat the best knights in Europe.
- Poitiers - France, 19 September 1356 - The French fight dismounted this time and almost win. But the longbow, and solid English infantry prevail again.
- Najera - Castile, 3 April 1367 - The Black Prince goes to Spain with a marvelous combined arms force to further English plans of "expansion".
The units feature longbows, crossbows, men-at-arms (mounted, dismounted, and unhorsed), hobilars, genitors, nasty Scots with axes, and even a couple of bombards! And the commanders! The great English Ling, Edward III and his son, The Black Prince, Wallace and The Bruce, Captal de Buch, and a host of kings. Each and every one a Man of Iron.
- GAME COMPLEXITY: 4/9
- SOLITAIRE SUITABILITY: 8/9
- TIME SCALE: No hard set game turns
- MAP SCALE: 110 yards per hex
- UNIT SCALE: Aprox. 250 men per unit
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 1-2
Players: 1 - 2
Time: 60 - 120 minutes
Ages: 12 and up
Weight: 690 grams
Language Requirements: Game components are printed in English. Manufacturer's rules are printed in English. This is a domestic item.