Railways of the World: The Card Game Expansion
Notify me if/when this item becomes available:
(you will be asked to log in first)
from 1 customer review
Please Login to use shopping lists.
Railways of the World: The Card Game has been nominated for and received many awards since its release at Origins in 2010.
- About.com 2010 Reader’s Choice Award for: Best Family
- Game & Top 10 Card Games of 2010
- 2010 Golden Geek Award Nominee: Best Card Game
- Dice Tower’s Top 10 for 2010
- Games Magazine: Best Family Strategy Game Nominee
- 37th Origins Awards: Best Card Game Nominee
Now there is an Expansion for this fast paced card game adaptation of the highly popular Railways of the World board game series. Players use track cards and city cards to build a series of railroad routes and deliver goods. As the game progresses, players work to connect more cities, upgrade their engines and deliver goods through a network of routes. The Expansion creates new mechanics and additional bonus scoring options for the base game by adding:
- Tunnels to connect existing cities giving access to cubes and impacting city control.
- Switchers to allow track color to change during building thus allowing connection to a new color city.
- Grey Cities to provide additional goods for deliveries.
- Barons to provide additional bonus scoring options.
Average Rating: 4 in 1 review
Railways of the World: The Card Game Expansion is an expansion to the card game that consists of 50 cards. These add a number of new elements that can be added to the game individually or together, such as Baron cards (offering long term objectives for bonus points), Switches (allowing links of multiple colours), Tunnels (allowing existing cities to be connected), Grey Cities (promoting longer deliveries). It also comes with cards making the game playable with five players.
But one of the best parts of the expansion are the rules for a Draw Deck variant, which can be used with the base game as well. This variant eliminates some of the luck of the draw and makes the gameplay more strategic.
Overall it's a nice small package that many fans of the original game will consider a must-have. The base game is a terrific light-medium weight train game, and this expansion helps extend its mileage even further.